Re: Linux with kvm-intel locks up VMplayer guest is started

From: Anthony Liguori
Date: Tue Jun 17 2008 - 14:10:17 EST

Martin Michlmayr wrote:
* Anthony Liguori <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2008-06-17 08:16]:
VMware is a binary kernel module that's out of kernel. KVM is not
misbehaving and the fact that VMware breaks when the KVM module is
loaded isn't our problem. If they submitted their code for
inclusion in mainline, we could possibly come up with solution for
arbitrating who is using VT.

I feared I'd get a response like this. But unless this is a known
issue in VMware (which I don't think it is), you don't know whether
it's not a bug in kvm-intel.

We know exactly what the problem is. KVM activates VT unconditionally. There's no hardware mechanism to arbitrate access to VT. KVM is the only thing in the Linux kernel that uses VT so we don't have a software mechanism to arbitrate access to VT.

If the VMware code was upstream, then we could work together to make a software arbitration mechanism. It's not, and worse yet, it's closed source so there's no chance it will be. Even if someone wrote an arbitration mechanism and got VMware to use it, it still shouldn't be merged because KVM would be the only thing using that mechanism upstream. I'm not interested in adding kernel infrastructure to support external binary kernel modules.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori