Re: i/o bandwidth controller infrastructure

From: Divyesh Shah
Date: Mon Jun 16 2008 - 16:57:33 EST

This is the core io-throttle kernel infrastructure. It creates the
basic
interfaces to cgroups and implements the I/O measurement and
throttling
functions.

I am not sure if throttling an application's cpu usage by explicitly putting it to sleep
in order to restrain it from making more IO requests is the way to go here (though I can't think
of anything better right now).
With this bandwidth controller, a cpu-intensive job which otherwise does not care about its IO
performance needs to be pin-point accurate about IO bandwidth required in order to not suffer
from cpu-throttling. IMHO, if a cgroup is exceeding its limit for a given resource, the throttling
should be done _only_ for that resource.

-Divyesh