Re: [RFC -mm 0/6] sysv ipc: scale msgmnb with the number of cpus

From: Manfred Spraul
Date: Sat Jun 07 2008 - 10:38:25 EST

Solofo.Ramangalahy@xxxxxxxx wrote:
The size in bytes of a SysV IPC message queue, msgmnb, is too small
for large machines, but we don't want to bloat small machines

Several methods are used already to modify (mainly increase) msgmnb:
. distribution specific patch
. system wide sysctl.conf
. application specific tuning via /proc/sys/kernel/msgmnb

Which distributions use a patch?

The whole configuration can be done from user space, thus I assumed that a sysctl.conf value (or in the worst case: a dbus/hal daemon that updates /proc/sys/kernel/msgnmb) could do the job.

--
Manfred