Re: Locking in the (now generic) GPIO infrastructure?

From: Ben Dooks
Date: Fri Jun 06 2008 - 06:29:23 EST

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 01:00:19PM +0200, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> compare void gpio_line_set() in
>
> arch/arm/plat-iop/gpio.c:
> void gpio_line_set(int line, int value)
> {
> unsigned long flags;
>
> local_irq_save(flags);
> if (value == GPIO_LOW) {
> *IOP3XX_GPOD &= ~(1 << line);
> } else if (value == GPIO_HIGH) {
> *IOP3XX_GPOD |= 1 << line;
> }
> local_irq_restore(flags);
> }
>
> with
>
> include/asm-arm/arch-ixp4xx/platform.h:
> static inline void gpio_line_set(u8 line, int value)
> {
> if (value == IXP4XX_GPIO_HIGH)
> *IXP4XX_GPIO_GPOUTR |= (1 << line);
> else if (value == IXP4XX_GPIO_LOW)
> *IXP4XX_GPIO_GPOUTR &= ~(1 << line);
> }

Yes, that looks rather buggy to me, and also sub-optimal to boot. The
u8 line should be changed to just 'unsigned' having the compiler truncate
to 8bit isn't useful when then used with a shift.

static inline void gpio_line_set(unsigned line, int value)
{
unsigned long flags;
unsigned regval;

local_irq_save(flags);

regval = *IXP4XX_GPIO_GPOUTR;

if (value == IXP4XX_GPIO_HIGH)
regval |= (1 << line);
else if (value == IXP4XX_GPIO_LOW)
regval &= ~(1 << line);

*IXP4XX_GPIO_GPOUTR = regval;
local_irq_restore(flags);
}

> Under a Linux kernel where multiple drivers are accessing GPIO, the
> latter does not seem safe against preemption (assuming the memory
> read-modify-write is not atomic).
>
> Shouldn't GPIO access be protected against concurrent access here?
>
> Documentation/gpio.txt does not really mention the locking mechanism
> assumed to modify GPIO lines.

I think it depends on whether gpiolib is being used or not, there may
be some locking in there.

--
Ben

Q: What's a light-year?