Re: [patch 02/41] cpu alloc: The allocator

From: Rusty Russell
Date: Thu Jun 05 2008 - 20:33:46 EST

On Thursday 05 June 2008 01:11:00 Eric Dumazet wrote:
> Mike Travis a écrit :
> > I'm a bit confused. Why is DEFINE_PER_CPU_SHARED_ALIGNED() conditioned
> > on ifdef MODULE?
> Because we had crashes when loading oprofile module, when a previous
> version of oprofile used to use DEFINE_PER_CPU_SHARED_ALIGNED variable
>
> module loader only takes into account the special section ".data.percpu"
> and ignores ".data.percpu.shared_aligned"
>
> I therefore submitted two patches :

Put one way, putting page-aligned per-cpu data in a separate section is a
space-saving hack: one which is not really required for modules because of
the low frequency of such variables. Put another way, not respecting
the .data.percpu.shared_aligned section in modules is a bug.

But a comment would probably be nice!

Cheers,
Rusty.