Re: [patch 0/7] speculative page references, lockless pagecache, lockless gup

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Thu Jun 05 2008 - 07:53:35 EST

On Thursday 05 June 2008 19:43, npiggin@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've decided to submit the speculative page references patch to get merged.
> I think I've now got enough reasons to get it merged. Well... I always
> thought I did, I just didn't think anyone else thought I did. If you know
> what I mean.
>
> cc'ing the powerpc guys specifically because everyone else who probably
> cares should be on linux-mm...
>
> So speculative page references are required to support lockless pagecache
> and lockless get_user_pages (on architectures that can't use the x86
> trick). Other uses for speculative page references could also pop up, it is
> a pretty useful concept. Doesn't need to be pagecache pages either.
>
> Anyway,
>
> lockless pagecache:
> - speeds up single threaded pagecache lookup operations significantly, by
> avoiding atomic operations, memory barriers, and interrupts-off sections.
> I just measured again on a few CPUs I have lying around here, and the
> speedup is over 2x reduction in cycles on them all, closer to 3x in some
> cases.
>
> find_get_page takes:
> ppc970 (g5) K10 P4 Nocona Core2
> vanilla 275 (cycles) 85 315 143
> lockless 125 40 127 61
>
> - speeds up single threaded pagecache modification operations, by using
> regular spinlocks rather than rwlocks and avoiding an atomic operation
> on x86 for one. Also, most real paths which involve pagecache
> modification also involve pagecache lookups, so it is hard not to get a net
> speedup.
>
> - solves the rwlock starvation problem for pagecache operations. This is
> being noticed on big SGI systems, but theoretically could happen on
> relatively small systems (dozens of CPUs) due to the really nasty
> writer starvation problem of rwlocks -- not even hardware fairness can
> solve that.
>
> - improves pagecache scalability to operations on a single file. I
> demonstrated page faults to a single file were improved in throughput
> by 250x on a 64-way Altix several years ago. We now have systems with
> thousands of CPUs in them.

Oh that's actually anothr thing I remember now that I posted the scalable
vmap code...

The lock I ended up hitting next in the XFS large directory workload that
improved so much with the vmap patches was tree_lock of the buffer cache.
So lockless pagecache gave a reasonable improvement there too IIRC :)