Re: 2.6.25.3: su gets stuck for root

From: Joe Peterson
Date: Wed Jun 04 2008 - 10:43:22 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 09:26:48AM -0600, Joe Peterson wrote:
>> P.S. My stty process sits in "T" - did you say that it would be in "R"
>> if straced and that is correct?
>
> T would be correct. I'll put together a small diff to printk useful stuff
> when it happens and sent it you tonight/tomorrow

[Alan, thanks for the tips on where to instrument this]

What I have verified so far is that when the problem occurs, it gets to
this point in [tty_io.c] tty_check_change():

1229 kill_pgrp(task_pgrp(current), SIGTTOU, 1);
1230 set_thread_flag(TIF_SIGPENDING);
1231 ret = -ERESTARTSYS;
1232 out:
1233 return ret;

So the error that gets returned to set_termios() is -512.

Also, the various checks before this point (of course) did not pass
(current->signal->tty != tty, !tty->pgrp, task_pgrp(current) ==
tty->pgrp, is_ignored(SIGTTOU), is_current_pgrp_orphaned()). I have not
printed out the various values from these - let me know if this would be
helpful. I wanted to pass this info along now in case it is of help.

-Joe