Locking in the (now generic) GPIO infrastructure?

From: Leon Woestenberg
Date: Wed Jun 04 2008 - 07:00:28 EST

Hello,

compare void gpio_line_set() in

arch/arm/plat-iop/gpio.c:
void gpio_line_set(int line, int value)
{
unsigned long flags;

local_irq_save(flags);
if (value == GPIO_LOW) {
*IOP3XX_GPOD &= ~(1 << line);
} else if (value == GPIO_HIGH) {
*IOP3XX_GPOD |= 1 << line;
}
local_irq_restore(flags);
}

with

include/asm-arm/arch-ixp4xx/platform.h:
static inline void gpio_line_set(u8 line, int value)
{
if (value == IXP4XX_GPIO_HIGH)
*IXP4XX_GPIO_GPOUTR |= (1 << line);
else if (value == IXP4XX_GPIO_LOW)
*IXP4XX_GPIO_GPOUTR &= ~(1 << line);
}

Under a Linux kernel where multiple drivers are accessing GPIO, the
latter does not seem safe against preemption (assuming the memory
read-modify-write is not atomic).

Shouldn't GPIO access be protected against concurrent access here?

Documentation/gpio.txt does not really mention the locking mechanism
assumed to modify GPIO lines.

And I think I am running into an issue with this under -rt kernels,
but that needs more analysis from my side.

Regards,
--
Leon