Re: sparc64 bootup regression...

From: David Miller
Date: Tue Jun 03 2008 - 18:14:37 EST

From: Yasunori Goto <y-goto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 21:53:18 +0900

> I'll reconsider around here.

I think I know at least one of the problems in this change.

This code assumes that it can take __pa() on NODE_DATA().

But, if NUMA is disabled, NODE_DATA() is &contig_page_data which is a
kernel image symbol. __pa() is not supported for such addresses.

It happens to work on x86, but it will not work on just about every
other platform.

There are several things to consider to fix this changeset and
get it back into a state where it can be resubmitted into the
tree:

1) What is the goal here wrt. allocating the usemap when NUMA
is disabled.

2) What is appropriate if section_nr targetted allocation of
the usemap fails.

It seems to me that the pgdat and usemap should be allocated
together if putting them into the same section is important.
This allows us to avoid case #2 completely, and therefore we
don't even need to consider how to handle such a failure.