[Question] about modules/inline benefits

From: Justin Madru
Date: Tue Jun 03 2008 - 00:13:51 EST

Hi,

I've been compiling linus' git kernel (recompiling every -rc). I usually compile many features/drivers as modules. I was wondering what the benefits/drawbacks there are for modules compared to inlining.

What would be the differences between modules and inlining if you know the hardware/features needed?

Is it better to not use modules if you're compiling for just one computer that you know the hardware/features needed? (I know distros have to use modules because they have to work on a wide variety of hardware)

Are there any performance/efficiency/memory benefits for inlining/module?

Are some drivers/features better suited to be compiled as modules?

Do modules slow down the boot process?

I currently have these modules:
i915
acpi_cpufreq
cpufreq_powersave
cpufreq_stats
cpufreq_userspace
cpufreq_conservative
container
sbs
sbshc
ext3
jbd
mbcache
arc4
ecb
crypto_blkcipher
rtc
dcdbas
cryptomgr
crypto_algapi
psmouse
evdev
snd_hda_intel
snd_pcm_oss
snd_mixer_oss
snd_pcm
iwl3945
mac80211
snd_timer
crc32
snd_page_alloc
video
backlight
output
ac
button
battery
intel_agp
reiserfs
sr_mod
cdrom
sg
ata_piix
ehci_hcd
uhci_hcd
usbcore
thermal
processor
fan

If inlining is more efficient/advantageous, then I might compile-in everything I can, and use modules for testing new features and such.

Justin Madru