Re: v4l regression: V4L2_CID_[VH]CENTER disappeared without notice.

From: Brandon Philips
Date: Mon Jun 02 2008 - 14:11:34 EST

On 16:56 Mon 02 Jun 2008, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Please can we revert the addition of _DEPRECATED to these ioctl
> > definitions. Perhaps we can add a runtime warning if they actually get
> > used? Or a compile-time warning if we can manage that?
>
> Can you clarify the problem here ? Is this compile breakage as it appears
> (See 'do not include kernel headers in user space apps') or runtime ?

It is compile breakage and was also discussed on
fedora-devel-list@xxxxxxxxxx with Mauro and myself CC'd. The control
number will be reserved forever to avoid binary breakage.

However, as Mauro noted in that conversation: "Those controls haven't
been used by any Kernel drivers for a long time (I suspect that they
were never used)." Since no driver had ever implemented the control I
figured user space application wouldn't be using it either.

If David wants to revert the _DEPRECATED tags that is fine; we can add a
feature removal for a year from now if it gets merged.

Thanks,

Brandon