Re: [RFC 2/7] cramfs: create unique inode numbers

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Sun Jun 01 2008 - 17:25:20 EST

On Sunday 01 June 2008, JÃrn Engel wrote:
> On Sat, 31 May 2008 17:20:15 +0200, arnd@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > This changes the inode number in cramfs to be based on
> > the location of the dentry instead of the file, in order
> > to make inodes unique.
>
> Couldn't this cause problems for NFS? The same inode no longer has a
> stable inode number across reboots. Basing on dentry location can also
> be an information leak and cause problems on 64bit machines with old
> userspace.

Sorry if I was not clear with this: I meant dentry location on disk,
not in memory. So the inode number is still stable across reboots and
does not leak data, it is just different from before.

> We could keep the original approach and use a static counter otherwise.
> Something roughly like this:

One thing I like about my 2/7 patch is that it actually reduces the amount
of code in the file system, while your solution would increase it, with
otherwise identical behaviour.

Arnd <><