Re: [Ksummit-2008-discuss] Fixing the Kernel Janitors project

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Sun Jun 01 2008 - 10:12:09 EST

On Thu, 29 May 2008, David Miller wrote:
> From: Theodore Tso <tytso@xxxxxxx>
> Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 17:14:04 -0400
>
> > On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 01:54:31PM -0700, David Miller wrote:
> > > Yes, process is important, but I'd say it deserved 1/3 of the summit
> > > time, but not one minute more.
> >
> > We were about 50-50 last time, roughly. So let's see if there is
> > consensus to dial it back this year, based on topics that people
> > suggest.
>
> Today at LinuxTAG, Thomas Gleixner and I tossed around the idea
> that (assuming a 3 day event) we do tech stuff on day 1, process
> stuff on day 2, and back to tech stuff on day 3.
>
> The idea is that you hash out the initial impressions of your
> ideas on day 1, your mind works on the problem in the background
> on day 2, and they everyone has the answers on day 3 :-)
>
> Another idea we discussed briefly was some kind of organized run
> over the bugzilla entries. And just to make it interesting we could
> award some silly prize to whoever fixed the most interesting or
> amusing bug during the bug-run, as voted by the attendees.

I thought more about it and came up with an interesting challange for
the top hackers crowd:

Fix NOHZ/CPUIDLE along with suspend/resume on all participants
laptops, which are probably 50+ different models. That'd be an odd
enough mix of wreckaged hardware / BIOS / ACPI.

Should be fun and solve a bunch of hard to grok bugs in the bugzillas
along the way.

Thanks,
tglx