Re: [RFC 0/7] [RFC] cramfs: fake write support

From: Phillip Lougher
Date: Sun Jun 01 2008 - 00:01:56 EST

Arnd Bergmann wrote:
On Saturday 31 May 2008, David Newall wrote:
I don't agree that it is nicer to do this in cramfs. I prefer the
technique of union of a tmpfs over some other fs because a single
solution that works with all filesystems is better than re-implementing
the same idea in multiple filesystems. Multiple implementations is a
recipe for bugs and feature mismatch.

You're right in principle, but unfortunately there is to date no working
implementation of union mounts. Giving users the option of using an
existing file system with a few tweaks can only be better than than
forcing them to use hacks like unionfs.

I tend to agree with Arnd Bergmann. While I prefer the aesthetic cleanliness of stackable filesystems, the lack of proper stacking support in the Linux VFS makes other techniques necessary. Unionfs is complex and for many embedded systems with constrained resources Unionfs adds a lot of extra overhead.

If I read the patches correctly, when a file page is written to, only that page gets copied into the page cache and locked, the other pages continue to be read off disk from cramfs? With Unionfs a page write causes the entire file to be copied up to the r/w tmpfs and locked into the page cache causing unnecessary RAM overhead.

Phillip