Re: via agp patches

From: Greg KH
Date: Sat May 31 2008 - 13:46:35 EST

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 10:47:15AM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 05:32:50PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> >
> > Looks like this adds a new device id, I have no idea why they remove
> > another one at the same time...
>
> I sent a patch adding the missing ident to airlied a few weeks back.
> I think it's currently in -mm.

Great.

> The removal of the other id is a mystery to me.

Here's what I got back from Via about this:
VT3336 is a chipset for AMD Athlon/K8 CPU. Due to K8's unique
architecture, the AGP resource and behavior are different from
the traditional AGP which resides only in chipset. AGP is used
by 3D driver which wasn't available for the VT3336 and VT3364
generation until now. Unfortunately, by testing, VT3364 works
but VT3336 doesn't. That is why the subtraction. I think other
options are leaving it in the AGP, but removing it from our DRI
driver. Or, just leave it in both but warn people for issues in
the release note.

So it sounds like it would be good to remove that id.

thanks,

greg k-h