Re: [Ksummit-2008-discuss] RFC: Moving firmware blobs out of thekernel.

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Fri May 30 2008 - 19:18:57 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

I tried to push for that two years ago. I'd be more than happy to pull that out of the freezer.

Its kind of irrelevant if you need an initrd or not. The only question of
relevance is "does it get built when I type make all". Almost all Linux
users are using initrd without problem - because their distro ensures
"make install" and the packaged kernels do the right thing.

Obviously. I'm equally obviously referring to klibc, which was designed so that the resulting vmlinux/bzImage/... file contains the necessary initramfs, regardless of issues like cross-compilation, draconian size restrictions(*), and so forth.

-hpa

(*) Not saying that a klibc-based initramfs is necessarily smaller than the in-kernel code it replaces, but the total size is << than the size of the kernel proper, which isn't true when using a full-featured libc.