Re: NFS oops in 2.6.26rc4

From: Chuck Lever
Date: Fri May 30 2008 - 15:40:55 EST

On May 30, 2008, at 3:03 PM, Dave Jones wrote:
On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 11:31:48AM -0700, Trond Myklebust wrote:
On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 14:21 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:

mount point in the fstab is ..

gelk:/mnt/data /mnt/nfs/gelk nfs nfsvers=3,tcp 0 0

What "brand" of server were you trying to mount?

It's just another linux box. A no-name core2 duo, running 2.6.25.

How often can you reproduce this?

Seems to do it every time I ask it to.

Could you provide us with a binary tcpdump in that case? I'd love to
have a look at the actual filehandle the server is producing.

This is from the client side: http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/junk/ tcp.out
Wireshark picks up some of those packets as being 'malformed', which
could be a clue ?

Wireshark is overly cautious, and sometimes throws spurious warnings.

Something else of note which I hadn't seen before, usually things lock
up just after that first oops. For some reason, today it survived
a little longer, but things really went downhill fast.
It survived a 'dmesg ; scp dmesg davej@gelk', and then wedged solid.
So as well as the oops, it seems we're corrupting memory too.
For reference, this kernel has both SLUB_DEBUG and PAGEALLOC_DEBUG enabled.

I haven't seen this kind of problem here with .26, but yes, it does look like something is clobbering memory during an NFS mount.

I introduced some NFS mount parsing changes in this commit range:

2d767432..82d101d5

A quick bisect should show which, if any of these, is the guilty party. If any of these are the problem, I suspect it's 3f8400d1.

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com