Re: [patch 00/41] cpu alloc / cpu ops v3: Optimize per cpu access

From: Eric Dumazet
Date: Fri May 30 2008 - 06:28:57 EST

Andrew Morton a écrit :

It was just an example. There will be others.

tcp_v4_md5_do_add
->tcp_alloc_md5sig_pool
->__tcp_alloc_md5sig_pool

does an alloc_percpu for each md5-capable TCP connection. I think - it
doesn't matter really, because something _could_. And if something
_does_, we're screwed.
Last time I took a look on this stuff, this was a percpu allocation for all connections, not for each TCP session.
(It should be static, instead of dynamic )

Really, percpu allocations are currently not frequent at all.

vmalloc()/vfreee() are way more frequent and still use a list.