Re: GPL Violation: Compro Technology Inc, 2.6.17modified binary-only kernel distribution

From: Jo Shields
Date: Fri May 30 2008 - 03:33:36 EST

On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 13:19 +0930, David Newall wrote:
> Jo Shields wrote:
> > The infringing drivers have been removed from Compro's website, and
> > replaced with the following message:
>
> I'd like to know how you achieved that result. Netcomm, an Australian
> manufacturer of modems, use Linux in a number of their ADSL products,
> for example their NB5 range but I suppose, also, all of their modern
> products. They provide no acknowledgement on the box, nor in the
> documentation, nor on their web. I've exchanged emails with David
> Stewart <davids@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, their Managing Director, in which I
> explained the legal requirements, and also pointed out some high profile
> companies that had been sued over their violations. He certainly
> understood the situation and promised to have the box and documentation
> modified appropriately, but that was a year ago and nothing has been
> done. What can be done?

It sounds like I got off lightly - I simply contacted them via their
support email address (to which I've still received no reply), then
followed up a few days later by going to the tech press in an effort to
embarrass them into action. An associate also bought a card to determine
whether their infringing kernel image is on the driver CD as well as the
website, but the CD hasn't been looked at yet. I suppose it doesn't make
much difference now, and given they've publicly acknowledged the problem
I don't feel like chasing them over the CD issue (if it is indeed an
issue)