Re: [patch 00/41] cpu alloc / cpu ops v3: Optimize per cpu access

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Fri May 30 2008 - 01:22:38 EST

On Thu, 29 May 2008 22:03:14 -0700 (PDT) Christoph Lameter <clameter@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 29 May 2008, Andrew Morton wrote:
>
> > All seems reasonable to me. The obvious question is "how do we size
> > the arena". We either waste memory or, much worse, run out.
>
> The per cpu memory use by subsystems is typically quite small. We already
> have an 8k limitation for percpu space for modules. And that does not seem
> to be a problem.

eh? That's DEFINE_PERCPU memory, not alloc_pecpu() memory?

> > And running out is a real possibility, I think. Most people will only
> > mount a handful of XFS filesystems. But some customer will come along
> > who wants to mount 5,000, and distributors will need to cater for that,
> > but how can they?
>
> Typically these are fairly small 8 bytes * 5000 is only 20k.

It was just an example. There will be others.

tcp_v4_md5_do_add
->tcp_alloc_md5sig_pool
->__tcp_alloc_md5sig_pool

does an alloc_percpu for each md5-capable TCP connection. I think - it
doesn't matter really, because something _could_. And if something
_does_, we're screwed.

> > I wonder if we can arrange for the default to be overridden via a
> > kernel boot option?
>
> We could do that yes.

Phew.

> > Another obvious question is "how much of a problem will we have with
> > internal fragmentation"? This might be a drop-dead showstopper.
>
> But then per cpu data is not frequently allocated and freed.

I think it is, in the TCP case. And that's the only one I looked at.

Plus who knows what lies ahead of us?

> Going away from allocpercpu saves a lot of memory. We could make this
> 128k or so to be safe?

("alloc_percpu" - please be careful about getting this stuff right)

I don't think there is presently any upper limit on alloc_percpu()? It
uses kmalloc() and kmalloc_node()?

Even if there is some limit, is it an unfixable one?