Re: [patch 2.6.26-rc4-git] PM: boot time suspend selftest

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu May 29 2008 - 19:23:33 EST

On Thu, 29 May 2008 13:33:41 -0700
David Brownell <david-b@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: David Brownell <dbrownell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Boot-time test for system suspend states (STR or standby). The generic
> RTC framework triggers wakeup alarms, which are used to exit those states.
>
> - Measures some aspects of suspend time ... this uses "jiffies" until
> someone converts it to use a timebase that works properly even while
> timer IRQs are disabled.
>
> - Triggered by a command line parameter. By default nothing even
> vaguely troublesome will happen, but "test_suspend=mem" will give
> you a brief STR test during system boot. (Or you may need to use
> "test_suspend=standby" instead, if your hardware needs that.)
>
> This isn't without problems. It fires early enough during boot that for
> example both PCMCIA and MMC stacks have misbehaved. The workaround in
> those cases was to boot without such media cards inserted.

> +#ifdef CONFIG_PM_TEST_SUSPEND
> +
> +/*
> + * We test the system suspend code by setting an RTC wakealarm a short
> + * time in the future, then suspending. Suspending the devices won't
> + * normally take long ... some systems only need a few milliseconds.
> + *
> + * The time it takes is system-specific though, so when we test this
> + * during system bootup we allow a LOT of time.
> + */
> +#define TEST_SUSPEND_SECONDS 5
> +
> +static unsigned long suspend_test_start_time;
> +
> +static void suspend_test_start(void)
> +{
> + /* FIXME Use better timebase than "jiffies", ideally a clocksource.
> + * What we want is a hardware counter that will work correctly even
> + * during the irqs-are-off stages of the suspend/resume cycle...
> + */
> + suspend_test_start_time = jiffies;
> +}
> +
> +static void suspend_test_finish(const char *label)
> +{
> + long nj = jiffies - suspend_test_start_time;
> + unsigned msec;
> +
> + msec = jiffies_to_msecs((nj >= 0) ? nj : -nj);

abs()

> + pr_info("PM: %s took %d.%03d seconds\n", label,
> + msec / 1000, msec % 1000);

Can it really take a negative amount of time? If so, this message will
convert that to a positive duration.

Confused.

> + WARN_ON_ONCE(msec > (TEST_SUSPEND_SECONDS * 1000));

We should have a comment here explaining what we're warning about. Why
would it take more that five seconds?

Better might be to just add a nice printk - I don't think we need the
stack trace here.

> +}
> +
> +#else
> +
> +static void suspend_test_start(void)
> +{
> +}
> +
> +static void suspend_test_finish(const char *label)
> +{
> +}
> +
> +#endif

> +static void __init test_wakealarm(struct rtc_device *rtc, suspend_state_t state)
> +{
> + static char err_readtime [] __initdata =
> + KERN_ERR "PM: can't read %s time, err %d\n";
> + static char err_wakealarm [] __initdata =
> + KERN_ERR "PM: can't set %s wakealarm, err %d\n";
> + static char err_suspend [] __initdata =
> + KERN_ERR "PM: suspend test failed, error %d\n";
> + static char info_test [] __initdata =
> + KERN_INFO "PM: test RTC wakeup from '%s' suspend\n";

- One tab before the variable space is a waste of space. Two tabs is
just extravagant.

- The space before the [] shouldn't be there. checkpatch misses this.

- This way of defining printk control strings is weird, and will (I
assume) defeat gcc printk arg checking.

I _assume_ it was done so that the strings could be moved into
.init.data, thus saving a few bytes at runtime?

I wonder if that's a good tradeoff. It would be nice to teach gcc
how to do this, but that sounds improbable.

> + unsigned long now;
> + struct rtc_wkalrm alm;
> + int status;
> +
> + /* this may fail if the RTC hasn't been initialized */
> + status = rtc_read_time(rtc, &alm.time);
> + if (status < 0) {
> + printk(err_readtime, rtc->dev.bus_id, status);
> + return;
> + }
> + rtc_tm_to_time(&alm.time, &now);
> +
> + memset(&alm, 0, sizeof alm);
> + rtc_time_to_tm(now + TEST_SUSPEND_SECONDS, &alm.time);
> + alm.enabled = true;
> +
> + status = rtc_set_alarm(rtc, &alm);
> + if (status < 0) {
> + printk(err_wakealarm, rtc->dev.bus_id, status);
> + return;
> + }
> +
> + if (state == PM_SUSPEND_MEM) {
> + printk(info_test, pm_states[state]);
> + status = pm_suspend(state);
> + if (status == -ENODEV)
> + state = PM_SUSPEND_STANDBY;
> + }
> + if (state == PM_SUSPEND_STANDBY) {
> + printk(info_test, pm_states[state]);
> + status = pm_suspend(state);
> + }
> + if (status < 0)
> + printk(err_suspend, status);
> +}
> +
> +static int __init has_wakealarm(struct device *dev, void *name_ptr)
> +{
> + struct rtc_device *candidate = to_rtc_device(dev);
> +
> + if (!candidate->ops->set_alarm)
> + return 0;
> + if (!device_may_wakeup(candidate->dev.parent))
> + return 0;
> +
> + *(char **)name_ptr = dev->bus_id;
> + return 1;
> +}
> +
> +/*
> + * Kernel options like "test_suspend=mem" force suspend/resume sanity tests
> + * at startup time. They're normally disabled, for faster boot and because
> + * we can't know which states really work on this particular system.
> + */
> +static suspend_state_t test_state __initdata = PM_SUSPEND_ON;
> +
> +static char warn_bad_state[] __initdata =
> + KERN_WARNING "PM: can't test '%s' suspend state\n";
> +
> +static int __init setup_test_suspend(char *value)
> +{
> + unsigned i;
> +
> + /* "=mem" ==> "mem" */
> + value++;
> + for (i = 0; i < PM_SUSPEND_MAX; i++) {
> + if (!pm_states[i])
> + continue;
> + if (strcmp(pm_states[i], value) != 0)
> + continue;
> + test_state = (__force suspend_state_t) i;

I don't think I ever knew what __force does, and whoever added it
forgot to comment it.

<googles>

<can't work out why it is used here>

> + return 0;
> + }
> + printk(warn_bad_state, value);
> + return 0;
> +}
> +__setup("test_suspend", setup_test_suspend);
> +
> +static int __init test_suspend(void)
> +{
> + static char warn_no_rtc[] __initdata =
> + KERN_WARNING "PM: no wakealarm-capable RTC driver is ready\n";
> +
> + char *pony = NULL;

whinny.