Re: [Ksummit-2008-discuss] RFC: Moving firmware blobs out of thekernel.

From: David Miller
Date: Thu May 29 2008 - 17:32:19 EST

From: "Yinghai Lu" <yhlu.kernel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 13:55:16 -0700

> driver should check fw version...

This alone is not a reason to rip the firmware out into a seperate
tree. And I am absolutely not convinced that the cases where this
matters all universally even use firmware versions.

I've installed the wrong ipw2200 on several occaisions.

Furthermore, it's about distributing what works with what it's meant
to work with. With this seperate scheme, I can still link in the
wrong firmware file (the driver doesn't check the firmware version
until it executes) and the driver won't work. So this moves the
validation to run time, which users typically don't appreciate.