Re: [Ksummit-2008-discuss] Fixing the Kernel Janitors project

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Thu May 29 2008 - 12:33:25 EST

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 05:06:15PM +0200, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> I fully agree, but my impression is that this really is not going to be
> easy. Fixing bugs definitely is a good way to start kernel coding -- it
> forces you to understand the internals of the source, get used to the
> coding style by reading the code, etc. Unfortunately, it's simply not very
> attractive for newcomers.

"Programming is hard, let's go shopping"?

> For example -- I am leading a seminar at university, oriented at linux
> kernel internals. I provide the possibility to students either to
>
> - write some stand-alone interesting kernel project
> - fix a few non-trivial bugs in kernel bugzilla
> - chose any part of a kernel, learn how it works, and present this to
> other seminar attendees
>
> The feedback I often get from students (and these guys are studying
> computer science) is
>
> - writing some wholy new interesting kernel project is usually too
> complicated (both coming with an interesting idea for a project, and
> doing the coding itself)
> - fixing random bugs from kernel bugzilla is boring (spending 10 hours
> looking for missing '=' doesn't really attract them)
>
> So in overwhelming majority of cases, they just chose the presentation.

In general, students are going to choose the easiest option ;-)

Perhaps you could try making the process of finding a kernel bug seem
more exciting? I doubt that most kernel bugs are a simple as a missing =.
But even if they were, it's about the /process/ you take to get to that
boring patch.

> All I want to say is that I could very well imagine that a lot of
> newcomers will find "hey, feel free to crawl through bugzilla and fix
> whatever you are able to fix" very non-attractive.

Of course. We have to make it sexier than that.

a retrograde step."