Re: [help]How to block new write in a "Thin Provisioning" logicalvolume manager as a virtual device driver when physical spaces run out?

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Thu May 29 2008 - 12:08:46 EST

On Thu, 29 May 2008 11:31:59 +0100
Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Does anyone have some ideas for a better solution?
>
> Take one file system such as ext3, or even a cluster file system like
> GFS2 or OCFS. Create top level subdirectories in it for each machine.
> Either export the subdirectory via NFS.

Xiaoming, let me point out another advantage of Alan's approach.

In a block based thin provisioning system, like you proposed, there
is no way to free up space. Once a user's filesystem has written a
block, it is allocated - when the user deletes a file inside the
filesystem, the space will not be freed again...

This means that once the disk is full it will stay full, no matter
how many files are deleted in the guest filesystems. Overcommitting
an unfreeable resource is a bad idea.

--
All rights reversed.