Re: [patch 4/8] nfsd: rename MAY_ flags

From: Miklos Szeredi
Date: Thu May 29 2008 - 10:02:59 EST

> > From: Miklos Szeredi <mszeredi@xxxxxxx>
> >
> > Rename nfsd specific MAY_* flags to NFSD_MAY_* to make it clear, that
> > these are not used outside nfsd, and to avoid namespace conflicts with
> > the VFS.
>
> But they _are_ in the same namespace as the VFS ones. This needs to be
> sorted out by real by understanding what's going on here and either
> separating this flags out and passing them in a separate argument, or
> moving them to include/linux/fs.h so it's obvious for anyone adding new
> flags that they must not collide.

Neither I think. What's going on is that nfsd has a private set of
permission flags, and a private permission checking function, which
incidentally calls the vfs' permission checking function.

Does it hurt to share the three base MAY_ flags for this purpose? I
don't think it does, but I'm interested in the nfsd maintainers'
opinions.

Thanks,
Miklos