Re: [Ksummit-2008-discuss] Fixing the Kernel Janitors project

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Thu May 29 2008 - 07:33:27 EST

James Bottomley wrote:
[...]
track down, the last thing I want to see within a million miles of my
inbox is a white space fixing patch. The more of these patches we get,
the worse the problem becomes and the shorter and more inflammatory the

This particular problem seems fixable. Put something like this in the janitor faq:

"Don't create patches that are whitespace-fixes, or similiar attempts to
make the kernel adhere to the CodingStyle without actually changing the working code. The reasons are:
* Any patch disturbs others working on the same file. So change must be
justified by usefulness above mere pretty formatting.
* The maintainer can run the code through pretty-printing software
_when it won't disrupt other activity_. Such software will do
a better cleanup job than you can, and with no human effort at.
Please find something more useful to do than whitespace/style
improvements on existing code."

And if they do this anyway, just reject the patch with a pointer to the FAQ entry...

Helge Hafting