Re: [RFC][Patch 5/5]integrity: IMA as an integrity service provider

From: Mimi Zohar
Date: Wed May 28 2008 - 23:33:56 EST

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 01:22 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:

> +/**
> + * ima_must_measure - measure decision based on policy.
> + * @d - pointer to struct ima_data containing ima_args_data
>
> So if we know the type of d, did we _have_ to make it void*? It's
> much better to use the C yype system if at all possible.

This is one of the five integrity API calls. Each integrity template
will define it differently, using a different data structure.

> - ditto ima_collect_measurement()

ima_collect_measurement is also one of the five integrity API calls.

Here is a sample template kernel module that measures kernel memory.
Of the five integrity API calls, it implements
integrity_collect_measurement(), integrity_store_measurement(), and
integrity_display_measurement(). It collects and stores measurements
based on data read from security/kmem-template. The format is
"name length address". The name can be any string identifier such as
"proc_root"; the length is the number of bytes to measure; and address
is a kernel memory address, which can be looked up in /proc/kallsyms.
One caveat, the sample program currently does not validate the address.
A userspace application triggers the measurement by writing to
security/kmem-template.

/*
* Copyright (C) 2008 IBM Corporation
* Author: Mimi Zohar <zohar@xxxxxxxxxx>
*
* This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
* it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
* the Free Software Foundation, version 2 of the License.
*
* kmem-template.c
* - defines a kernel memory template
* - reads from security/kmem-template "name length address"
* - collects and stores measurement from address for length bytes
*/

#include <asm/uaccess.h>
#include <linux/module.h>
#include <linux/moduleparam.h>
#include <linux/kernel.h>
#include <linux/fs.h>
#include <linux/crypto.h>
#include <linux/scatterlist.h>
#include <linux/notifier.h>
#include <linux/security.h>
#include <linux/debugfs.h>
#include <linux/seq_file.h>
#include <linux/string.h>
#include <linux/proc_fs.h>
#include <linux/security.h>
#include <linux/integrity.h>
#include <linux/ima.h>

#define MY_NAME THIS_MODULE->name
#define IMA_DIGEST_SIZE 20

static int __init init_kmem_template(void);
static void __exit cleanup_kmem_template(void);

struct kmem_data {
char name[25];
char *buf;
int buflen;
u8 digest[IMA_DIGEST_SIZE];
};

static void hexdump(unsigned char *buf, unsigned int len)
{
print_hex_dump(KERN_CONT, "", DUMP_PREFIX_OFFSET,
16, 1,
buf, len, false);
}

int calc_hash(int buflen, char *buf, char *digest)
{
struct crypto_hash *tfm;
struct hash_desc desc;
struct scatterlist sg[1];
int error, result = 0;

tfm = crypto_alloc_hash("sha1", 0, CRYPTO_ALG_ASYNC);
if (IS_ERR(tfm)) {
printk(KERN_INFO "%s: failed to load %s transform: %ld\n",
__func__, "sha1", PTR_ERR(tfm));
return -ENOSYS;
}
desc.tfm = tfm;
desc.flags = 0;
error = crypto_hash_init(&desc);
if (error) {
result = -EINVAL;
goto out;
}

sg_set_buf(sg, buf, buflen);
result = crypto_hash_update(&desc, sg, buflen);
if (!result) {
error = crypto_hash_final(&desc, digest);
if (error)
result = -EINVAL;
}

out:
crypto_free_hash(tfm);
return result;
}

static int kmem_collect_measurement(void *d)
{
struct kmem_data *data = (struct kmem_data *)d;

memset(data->digest, 0, sizeof data->digest);
calc_hash(data->buflen, data->buf, data->digest);
hexdump(data->buf, data->buflen);
return 0;
}

/* Transform local kmem data to store data */
void kmem_store_measurement(void *d)
{
struct kmem_data *data = (struct kmem_data *)d;
struct ima_data idata;
struct ima_store_data *template = &idata.data.template;

idata.type = IMA_TEMPLATE;
template->name = "kmem";
template->len = sizeof *data;
template->data = (char *)data;
template->violation = 0;
integrity_store_measurement("ima", (void *)&idata);
return;
}

static void kmem_template_show(struct seq_file *m, void *e,
enum integrity_show_type show)
{
struct kmem_data *data = (struct kmem_data *)e;
int filename_len;
char len[4];
int i;

for (i = 0; i < 20; i++) {
switch (show) {
case INTEGRITY_SHOW_ASCII:
seq_printf(m, "%02x", data->digest[i]);
break;
case INTEGRITY_SHOW_BINARY:
seq_putc(m, data->digest[i]);
default:
break;
}
}

switch (show) {
case INTEGRITY_SHOW_ASCII:
seq_printf(m, " %s %d \n", data->name, data->buflen);
break;
case INTEGRITY_SHOW_BINARY:
filename_len = strlen(data->name);
memcpy(len, &filename_len, 4);
for (i = 0; i < 4; i++)
seq_putc(m, len[i]);
for (i = 0; i < strlen(data->name); i++)
seq_putc(m, data->name[i]);
default:
break;
}
}

static struct template_operations kmem_ops = {
.collect_measurement = kmem_collect_measurement,
.store_measurement = kmem_store_measurement,
.display_template = kmem_template_show
};

static int kmem_add_measure(char *name, unsigned int buflen,
unsigned int addr)
{
struct kmem_data data;
int rc;

strncpy(data.name, name, sizeof data.name);
data.buflen = buflen;
data.buf = (char *)addr;
rc = integrity_collect_measurement("kmem", &data);
if (!rc)
integrity_store_measurement("kmem", &data);
return rc;
}

static ssize_t kmem_write_template(struct file *file, const char __user *buf,
size_t buflen, loff_t *ppos)
{
char *data;
char name[26];
size_t result = 0, datalen;
int rc;
unsigned int addr, len;

datalen = buflen > 256 ? 256 : buflen;
data = kzalloc(datalen + 1, GFP_KERNEL);
if (!data)
result = -ENOMEM;

if (copy_from_user(data, buf, datalen)) {
result = -EFAULT;
goto out;
}

result = datalen;

rc = sscanf(data, "%25s %d %x ", name, &len, &addr);
if (rc == 3)
kmem_add_measure(name, len, addr);
else {
printk(KERN_INFO "%s: rc = %d\n", __func__, rc);
result = -EINVAL;
}
out:
if (!data)
kfree(data);
return result;
}

static struct file_operations kmem_template_ops = {
.write = kmem_write_template
};

static struct dentry *kmem_template;

static int __init init_kmem_template(void)
{

printk(KERN_INFO "%s: \n", __func__);
register_template("kmem", &kmem_ops);

kmem_template = securityfs_create_file("kmem-template",
S_IRUSR | S_IRGRP | S_IWUSR,
NULL, NULL, &kmem_template_ops);
return 0;
}

static void __exit cleanup_kmem_template(void)
{
printk(KERN_INFO "%s\n", __FUNCTION__);
unregister_template("kmem");

securityfs_remove(kmem_template);