Re: libata - DMA problems ICH7 rev 02

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Wed May 28 2008 - 20:10:12 EST

Jan Niklas Hasse wrote:
On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Jan Niklas Hasse <jhasse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It looks like you have the hard drive and the burner on the same IDE channel? Such problems are unavoidable in this setup since commands to one device on the channel can't execute while the other device is busy (especially for long commands like finalizing the disc). It would be better to move the drives onto separate channels.

As I have a notebook, I think I can't do that, can I?

Likely not, no. That is pretty poor design by the manufacturer, to set things up that way..