Call for nominations

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Wed May 28 2008 - 17:35:30 EST

[ This is the last message concerning the kernel summit that will be sent
to LKML; discussion should take place from henceforth on 2008 Kernel
Summit discuss list, and folks can subcribe by going to the URL:

Hi all,

As in previous years, the program committee will consider people from a
list of potential nominees. To quote from a message from Jonathan
Corbet documenting the process from previous years (with a few light
edits from your humble chair):

>The Kernel Summit program committee will soon start the process of
>figuring out who to invite for this year's event. Feedback from past years
>suggests that, to some, the invitation process looks a bit like a
>smoke-filled room, cabal-building exercise. This message is an attempt to
>make the selection process a bit more transparent.
>
>It is worth noting that the invitation-only nature of the summit, by
>definition, implies that some people will be excluded. It seems inevitable
>that, in a development community this large, the invitation list will fail
>to include some developers whose contributions are large and who could
>certainly bring something positive to the summit. That is an unfortunate
>result, and one which should be minimized. It is, however, hard to see how
>the meeting could be enlarged without changing its nature and causing other
>important participants to drop out. So the summit is likely to remain
>invitation-only, and at its current size.
>
>The selection algorithm has, in recent years, worked something like this:
>
> - A list of potential invitees is put together. Sources of names include
> the previous year's list, people who have contributed to the kernel over
> the previous year, and explicit nominations. Anybody is welcome to
> submit nominations by sending a message to the ksummit-2008-pc
> list.
>
> - A certain number of slots are pre-assigned. The program committee, in
> its arrogance, invites itself to the event. Major sponsors for
> the summit get a slot for a representative.
>
> - Each member of the program committee gives each potential attendee a
> rating between one and five points, depending on that attendee's
> perceived contribution to the event. At the end of this process, the
> bulk of the slots are filled by the people getting the highest votes.
> That's how people like Linus get their invitations
>
> - The remaining slots are filled based on discussions within the
> committee. In filling these slots, an emphasis is placed on ensuring
> that most major subsystems and architectures are represented and that
> the people needed to discuss the anticipated hot topics will be
> present. There is also an attempt to ensure that a certain amount of
> "new blood" is brought in.
>
> - A few slots are reserved so that there is room to invite people whose
> importance becomes clear as the agenda is worked out.
>
> - A few slots (usually 5) are also chosen from the MAINTAINERS file.
>
>What the committee wants to do, in the end, is to put together an event
>that helps the kernel development community be active, connected, and
>coherent over the coming year.

This year, we're starting a bit late (mea culpa), so I'd like to start
this process going sooner rather than later. I've assembled a list of
people who have contributed significantly to the kernel in recent months
(since September 2007), as measured by Signed-off-by's and Acked-by's.
This list also includes people who were invited to the kernel summit
list year, but which didn't meet the above criteria. (Interestingly,
adding previously invited kernel summit attendees only increased the
list by 9.)

Obviously, this is only a starting point, and may omit some critical
people, and may include people who have done nothing more than
mechanical syntax changes. The latter is handled by the program
committee, as described above, and the former is handled by *you*.

If you would believe there is anyone who is not on the list attached
below, but which you think should be considered by the kernel summit
program committee, please send nominations (self-nominations are
allowed) to the ksummit-2008-pc mailing list at
lists.linux-foundation.org.

Thanks, regards,

- Ted

Adrian Bunk