Re: HAVE_CLK (for <linux/clk.h> support)

From: David Brownell
Date: Tue May 27 2008 - 21:42:11 EST

On Tuesday 27 May 2008, Felipe Balbi wrote:

> > I don't know of any other drivers with this particular issue,
> > but nonetheless ... I think the following is an appropriate
> > resolution.
> >
> > Comments from anyone else?
>
> I actually like it. I didn't see this error cuz I was only building
> musb for arm architecture.
>
> But why only davinci and omap?

They're the only one affected by the musb_hdrc patch...

> What about: mach-aaec2000, mach-at91, mach-ep93xx, mach-integrator,
> mach-lh7a40x, mach-ns9xxx, mach-pnx4008, mach-pxa, mach-realview,
> mach-sa1100, mach-versatile, mach-s3c24x.

If this approach goes forward, I'd expect those platforms
to "select HAVE_CLK" too. Ditto some SH, PowerPC, etc.

> Instead of making the driver dependant on HAVE_CLK (which would be
> true for virtually any driver comming from linux-omap), you could make
> clk_enable a nop in case arch doesn't HAVE_CLK. How does that sound?

Best done by #ifdef HAVE_CLK in <linux/clk.h> support, and
putting the stubs there. However, since those platforms
don't actually have clocks, I'd make them all report errors
of whichever kind.

That's kind of a second-order question to "should we create
a HAVE_CLK in Kconfig". Since Certain People have objected
to patches touching <linux/clk.h> I avoided doing that the
first time around ... it'd be a better solution, yes.

- Dave