Re: floppy question of the hour

From: Phillip Susi
Date: Tue May 27 2008 - 17:59:39 EST

Gene Heskett wrote:
This is a 250 kilobaud data rate format, the maximum the WD-1773 FDC chip in the target machine can handle, with 18, 256 byte sectors per track, two sides=73728 bits to write a track, /250000 (baud rate)=0.294912 seconds to write one full tracks worth of data. 80 tracks=23.59296 seconds to write the whole disk if it were streaming, but it takes 3 minutes and change? And nearly 2 to read it back as above? Odd. With the interleave of 3, I could see 75 seconds maybe for efficient methods. I also understand this is a one size fits all scene too, and that there must be compromises.

I format these DD discs in the target machine with an interleave factor of 3 cuz that machines cpu is running at as low as .89MHZ and can't handle the read data any faster than that.

Is this non-1 interleave responsible for the slowness of the writes or reads on this box? I can control the interleave on the target box, so I suppose I could test that effect easily enough.

Yes, the interleave slows you down, since after accessing sector 1, the head must wait to pass over 3 other sectors before finally reaching sector 2, therefore, you can only read 1/4 of the sectors on the track each revolution of the disk. That leaves 4 revolutions at 300 rpm giving 0.8s to read a track, or 64 seconds to read all 80 tracks, plus seek time. That still does not explain 3 minutes though... not sure what else could be slowing you down.