Re: NIU - Sun Neptune 10g - Transmit timed out reset (2.6.24)

From: Jesper Krogh
Date: Mon May 26 2008 - 15:04:09 EST

Jesper Krogh wrote:
David Miller wrote:
From: Jesper Krogh <jesper@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 13:01:08 +0200

Any good suggestions about the "Transmit timed out" messages. It
currently leads to a system that "doesnt die" but doesnt respond within
15 minutes of load of the network adapter.

It's likely some bug in the driver that hangs the card for whatever
reason, which we'll need to work out.

Ok. I have been testing a bit more. It generally works fine, It seems
the "transmit timed out" thing was provoked by dd in the tests, because
it was creating a lot of small requests. (default bs=512).(over NFS).
When the blocksize went up, the problem dissapered. (and the numer of
context-switches went down).

Ok. Now I also hit it in production with the NFS-server, so this
is definately a real bug somewhere in the driver. Should I register it
at bugzilla?

$ sudo grep -ci "Transmit timed out" /var/log/messages
1007

And only a hard reboot brought it back online.
2.6.25.2

--
Jesper