Re: Number of bugs - statistics

From: Dave Jones
Date: Mon May 26 2008 - 13:34:38 EST

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 11:31:12PM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 11:29:08AM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > On Fri, 23 May 2008 19:50:55 +0300
> > Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > 2000 kernel bugs per year?
> >
> > it's going down; 750-ish for the last few releases
> >
> > (see http://kernelslacker.livejournal.com/116718.html )
>
> It's a bit suspicious that the "Total number of bugs filed across all
> packages" also went down by quite some amount.

The last two releases hadn't reached end-of-life yet. I just updated
that entry, with the latest numbers for F7/F8, and threw in F9 too.

total kernel
F7 5534 724
F8 7589 902
F9 4624 292

Given F9 has only been out a few weeks, that's quite high. As more
people move from F7 -> F8 as F7 gets closer to end of life, the bug
count there is shifting too.
(for point of reference, F7 is on 2.6.24, F8 is about to get a .25 update,
F9 was released with .25)

> Are recent Fedora kernels less buggy or do less people file bugs since
> everyone now uses Ubuntu?

My majority of my job is still spending reading and dealing with bugzilla.
I think if there were a noticable drop-off, I'd have more time to be
sitting around eating cheetos or doing something else. That hasn't happened.

Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk