Re: Top 10 bugs/warnings for the week of March 23rd, 2008

From: Bart Van Assche
Date: Mon May 26 2008 - 13:28:41 EST

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 7:09 PM, Oliver Neukum <oliver@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am Montag 26 Mai 2008 19:01:48 schrieb Theodore Tso:
>> If the USB stack folks would like to work on how to recognize that
>> it's the same USB stick that had been previously pulled, so that it
>> gets the same block device, and we can decide for how long we should
>> keep dirty buffers around associated with a pulled USB stick, we can
>> certainly have that conversation. :-)
>
> Even if we could tell whether the device has remained the same, how
> would we know the medium wasn't exchanged?

Looking at the filesystem UUID could help -- this is an ID that is
present as data on the disk, and that is even independent of the bus
type. See also /dev/disk/by-uuid.

For the journaling filesystems I am familiar with the default value
for the commit parameter is 5 seconds. Would it be a good idea to
leave the default to 5s for non-removable devices, and to change this
default to 1s for removable devices ?

Bart.