Re: PROBLEM: BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at ffff81013a612000

From: Georges Toth
Date: Mon May 26 2008 - 08:05:56 EST

Hi,

Vegard Nossum wrote:
It seems that you have three proprietary modules loaded: vmnet, vmmon,
and nvidia (identified by the (P) suffix in module list above).
Especially the vmnet and vmmon modules which have been loaded forcibly
(the F suffix).

This means that it will be very hard for the mainline developers to
debug your problem. Most likely your report will be ignored.

I suggest starting your system without loading these kernel modules in
the first place. Note: It is important that the modules are not loaded
in the first place. Simply unloading them won't work, as the damage
may have been done already. If you can reproduce the problem when
these modules have not been loaded, then I am sure it will be
inspected properly.

If you cannot reproduce the problem, however, I would try to narrow
down the problem by loading only one or the other of the modules, then
contact the vendor(s) of the offending modules.

The easiest way to prevent a module from loading at boot is to remove
the corresponding .ko file from /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/. (But
keep the original file if you want to move it back later.)
As suggested I've removed all proprietary modules and am using the nv xorg module for now.
Should that bug occur again, I'll let you know :-).

Thanks

--
regards,

Georges Toth