Re: Top 10 bugs/warnings for the week of March 23rd, 2008

From: Theodore Tso
Date: Mon May 26 2008 - 06:17:36 EST

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 11:39:13AM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> Exactly why is pulling an USB stick considered "stupid"? Last i checked
> there was no physical lock preventing users from doing that.
>
> Sure, pulling a mounted USB stick is inconvenient ... for _us_ kernel
> developers. But the user really doesnt care and shouldnt care.

Because they could lose data? Because if the kernel wakes up and
tries writing to the USB stick right as they pull it out, it could
physically damage the flash format? I know, stupid reason... :-)

I know, I know, it's an issue. If someone wants to look at it, great.
It is on my todo list, but I've been doing a lot of travelling, and
when you have only one laptop, and pulling USB sticks isn't the sort
of thing you can do using UML or KVM, it tends to fall to the bottom
of your list.

- Ted