Re: Limit SATA link speed to 1.5 Gbps

From: Andre Pietsch
Date: Sun May 25 2008 - 07:34:18 EST

> > I tested 2.6.25 and the error still occurrs once but then it gave me
a "limiting SATA link speed to 1.5 Gbps" in the log.

> The later kernels will drop the SATA speed on repeated errors if they
see what appears to be a consistent problem that might be cabling/noise.

> > Is it possible to set the SATA link speed somewhere?
>
> Not sure. I've not looked whether that is in the new "force" code. I
don't think you can in 2.6.24 however, and 2.6.25 will fall back nicely.

> Other than being annoying during the install it should not cause any
other problems beyond all the retries.

Hi Alan,

thanks for your input. I can report that Ubuntu 8.0.4 64 does behave the
same way as the 32 Bit version and limits the link speed successfully,
after the link fails several times.

After this the errors do not occurr any more.

This works for me now. I'll update the bug report on launchpad.

Regards,
Andre Pietsch