Re: initialization of static per-cpu variables

From: Rusty Russell
Date: Sun May 25 2008 - 06:35:43 EST

On Saturday 24 May 2008 00:29:04 Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 06:20:06PM +1000, Rusty Russell wrote:
> > Yep, it was an old toolchain used by Sparc: DaveM found this one. As you
> > say, it's ancient: I'm happy to queue a cleanup patch now everyone is on
> > a modern compiler.
>
> The commit says:
>
> GCC3.1 apparently gets confused about uninitialized sections
>
> We do still support gcc 3.2 (which is the same as 3.1 except for a C++
> ABI change) as a compiler for the kernel.

Adrian, that's a little silly. There are obviously bug fixes in 3.2 over
3.1.0. Noone has complained about the introduction of multiple other cases
which would screw things up if they experienced this bug.

Finally, it's a sparc64 problem and DaveM acked already. That's half the
userbase!

Cheers,
Rusty.