Re: kernel coding style for if ... else which cross #ifdef

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Sat May 24 2008 - 16:58:23 EST

Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

In particular, the use of #ifdef is crap to begin with. Using #if even for the preprocessor makes it possible to trap misspellings.

Yes, I'd agree if we were starting from scratch. But given that we can't get rid of CONFIG_* and their dubious semantics, we just have to make do.

That's a very defeatist stance, and quite frankly bogus.

Doing it as a flag day event is not really practical, which is why we need a new set of symbols. However, at that point we can discourage continuing use of the CONFIG_ symbols and deprecate them over time. It's not like we're talking about user-space-visible interfaces here!

-hpa