Re: kernel coding style for if ... else which cross #ifdef

From: Tom Spink
Date: Sat May 24 2008 - 12:41:15 EST

2008/5/24 Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>:
> Vegard Nossum wrote:
>>
>> Why not use all-lowercase config_* names? It seems elegant, and fits
>> in with the notion that these are to be used not as macros, but as
>> ordinary constants.
>>

> We tend to use all caps for symbolic constants, even if they're enums.
>
>> (The only disadvantage I can see is that they will stand out less. But
>> I don't know how great the disadvantage is.)
>>
>> You could even go further and make them real constants, something
>> along the lines of:
>>
>> enum config_value { no, yes, mod };
>>
>> static const enum config_value config_lockdep_support = yes;
>>

> Well, you could use "enum { config_foo = 0/1 }" to define a proper C
> constant.
>
> But it means you could only use them in C, not in CPP or asm expressions.

Hi,

A thought occurred to me that we may be able to used some preprocessor
magic and do this:

#define config_defined(x) CFGVAL_## x

Which means that, if we get Kconfig to produce:

#define CFGVAL_CONFIG_FOO 0
#define CFGVAL_CONFIG_VALUE_BAR 1
#define CFGVAL_CONFIG_VALUE_BAZ_MODULE 1

We can use this:

if (config_defined(CONFIG_FOO) && some_expr) {
panic("Oh no.");
}

Thoughts?

--