[announce] linux kernel library project

From: Octavian Purdila
Date: Sat May 24 2008 - 07:56:23 EST

Hi everybody,

The purpose of the Linux Kernel Library project is to organize the Linux
kernel code in a library which can be used in third party projects. It
strives to be portable across hardware platforms, operating systems, as well
as kernel and user-space environments.

The library prototype we developed was tested with a few applications
(prototypes as well):
- portable FTP daemon (using the Apache Runtime Library) which can be used to
read/write Linux filesystems
- windows filesystem driver for Linux filesystems

We also added (very incomplete) support for running the application code under
valgrind to help us catch memory related bugs in the kernel code via a new
SL*B allocator.

The modifications to the Linux kernel code are minimal and isolated, as
all modifications are done as a new architecture port. You can find the code
in git repositories here:

http://ixlabs.cs.pub.ro/git/?p=lkl/linux-2.6;a=summary
http://ixlabs.cs.pub.ro/git/?p=lkl/lklftpd;a=summary
http://ixlabs.cs.pub.ro/git/?p=lkl/lklvfs;a=summary

Since the code is starting the bitrot, I thought of dropping an announce here
to get your opinion and maybe a boost to this project - if there are people
believing that there is value in this project.

We are eagerly waiting for your comments :)

Thanks,
Lucian, Stefania, Tavi

believed to be clean.