Re: Suggestion About Kernel Releases

From: Enrico Weigelt
Date: Sat May 24 2008 - 06:31:07 EST

* Pekka Enberg <penberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You keep saying that but it simply is not true. The more people we
> have _waiting_ for a "stable" kernel to graduate from the "testing"
> series, the less people we have actually _testing_ the kernel.

ACK.

I, personally use the newest releases on mostly unimportant
systems, where a kernel bug is ugly but not that bad.
For production systems I use the stableized/well-tested distro
kernels, eg. unmasked on Gentoo). If you're using such an distro,
you already have an more tested kernel, less chance of bugs
(than with vanilla).

My suggestion istead is bringing these individual efforts from
distros to some central point, let's call this "mature kernel".
This (IMHO) wouldn't affect the current development/release
process, mission-critical systems can simply use that mature
tree, and perhaps some pressure is taken from vanilla.

cu