Re: Top 10 bugs/warnings for the week of March 23rd, 2008

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Sat May 24 2008 - 01:08:33 EST

Chris Wright wrote:
* Arjan van de Ven (arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
Rank 9: task_has_capability
Reported 34 times
[tainted] Bug in the proprietary firegl driver
^^^^^^^^^
Oops only shows up in tainted kernels
^^^^^^^^
This oops was last seen in version 2.6.25.3, and first seen in 2.6.25.
More info: http://www.kerneloops.org/searchweek.php?search=task_has_capability

looking at first one: http://www.kerneloops.org/raw.php?rawid=13598&msgid=

OK, aside of the obvious (their problem):

Tainted: P
EIP is at task_has_capability+0x48/0x76
Code: ... <0f> 0b ^^^^^^^
BUG()

This should be listed under the BUG/BUG_ON category as opposed to oops, no?

yeah it should; Linus pointed that out and I've since fixed my report generator script

Also, I think the raw data is missing some bit. Where is the:

kernel BUG at...

hmm it ought to be there.

At any rate, they have a bug in their proprietary module (news at 11).

So, I don't think this should make the top ten. Do you have a way to
sort tainted vs non-tainted, and only produce the top ten for untainted?

yes absolutely; this is a question I'll have for the customers of the data...
do people want to see "only-tainted" in these top 10s? Right now I mark them as such
but leave them in. It's trivial for me to just leave them out instead (the info is there,
just a matter of not counting)

And one last question re: the stats. Is there a way to tell if the 41
times this was reported are from 41 distinct users. Is there any unique
cookie you receive with the raw oops report that can help filter out
duplicates (by duplicate I mean a user w/ this proprietary driver and
rebooting is likely to reproduce the same info on each boot). You don't
want to drop dups, but at least let that info the stats or something.

There is no unique per-system ID yet; I'm working with the SMOLT guys to get this added potentially.

For the record, that bug triggers:

printk(KERN_ERR "SELinux: out of range capability %d\n", cap);
BUG();

meaning they are passing in a capability that's > 63 (2.6.25 introduced
64 bit caps).

BTW, EAX: 00000030 (48)...that suggests their capability they passed in
was quite large, likely an address or smth.

yeah iirc the AMD graphics driver gives the user process full root caps for some time...
Annoying things these non-root linux users ;)