Re: Moving include/asm-* [was: Re: Moving sound/* to drivers/ ?]

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Thu May 22 2008 - 18:53:36 EST

On Thursday 22 May 2008, Al Viro wrote:

> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 06:20:27PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > On Thu, 22 May 2008, Al Viro wrote:
> >
> > > Nice, but... how do you pull what's currently asm-generic/foo.h from what's
> > > currently asm-bar/foo.h?  #include_next is _ugly_...
> >
> > I was actually going to suggest #include_next, yes. But if people hate it,
> > we can certainly just keep the current <asm-generic/xyz.h> approach.
>
> Another alternative is to replace asm-generic/ with generic/asm and have
> -I include -I arch/$ARCH/include -I include/generic. Then we'd have

Neither #include_next nor the generic/asm approach seems to have a
straightforward way of handling exported user space headers.
The current include/asm-generic way of doing this isn't nice either,
but at least it's a known evil.

Since the question of asm-generic is almost entirely independent of
where the regular arch headers are, I'd vote for leaving asm-generic
alone for now and only doing the obvious move of all other headers to
arch/*/include/asm as a significant step in the right direction.
Nobody seemed to object that part so far, and the only significant
changes it needs are in sparc64, m68knommu and um as well as a few
scripts changes.

Arnd <><