Re: Moving include/asm-* [was: Re: Moving sound/* to drivers/ ?]

From: Jeff Dike
Date: Thu May 22 2008 - 12:28:42 EST

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 06:26:07AM +0100, Al Viro wrote:
> It's a bit worse, though - there is target-dependent stuff in arch/um/include
> *and* in include/asm-um; the latter is done in a very painful way - see
> include/asm-um/module-i386.h and include/asm-um/module-x86_64.h, etc. and
> logics that creates a symlink for each of those.
>
> Is there any reason why module.h is not simply
>
> #include <sysdep/module.h>
>
> with these suckers sitting in arch/um/include/sysdep-{i386,x86_64}/ resp.?

My thinking was that include/asm-um is for stuff that's visible to the
rest of the kernel and arch/um/include is for UML-internal stuff.

Your patch does simplify things somewhat, though.

Would you consider a include/asm-um/$(ARCH) containing all the
foo-$(ARCH) headers to be worse than moving them to
arch/um/include/sysdep-$(ARCH)?

Jeff

--
Work email - jdike at linux dot intel dot com