Re: HDMI Audio Support in ALSA

From: Clemens Ladisch
Date: Thu May 22 2008 - 08:36:25 EST

(please don't top-post!)

Kallol Biswas wrote:
> I am looking at 2.6.25.4 kernel source code. The header file pcm.h
> does not have any definition for supporting IEC 60958 or IEC 61937 frame types.

Almost all S/PDIF transmitters/receivers use SNDRV_PCM_FORMAT_S16.
(Some use S32 for 24-bit samples, but this doesn't matter for
IEC 60958/61937.)

> However, SNDRV_PCM_FMTBIT_IEC958_SUBFRAME is supported.

This is only for some early revisions of the CMI8738 chip which require
software to generate the preamble/channel status/subcode/parity bits
for each subframe.

Regards,
Clemens