Re: 2.6.25.3: su gets stuck for root

From: david
Date: Tue May 20 2008 - 15:06:56 EST

On Tue, 20 May 2008, Harald Dunkel wrote:

Alan Cox wrote:
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu"...
Attaching to program: /var/tmp/coreutils-6.10/coreutils-6.10/src/stty, process 26465
/tmp/buildd/gdb-6.8/gdb/linux-nat.c:988: internal-error: linux_nat_attach: Assertion `pid == GET_PID (inferior_ptid) && WIFSTOPPED (status) && WSTOPSIG (status) == SIGSTOP' failed.
A problem internal to GDB has been detected,

So your gdb is broken, your stty is doign stuff nobody else seems to be
seeing ? My first thought is to suspect the distro/source as I've still
had no other equivalent reports and given the gdb spew.

I doubt that Debian is to blame here. I get the same with native
gdb-6.8 and native coreutils-6.10:

try killing syslog and then see if you continue to have the problem. It's possible that what's happening is syslog is getting stuck and su is sitting waiting for syslog to process the log entry.

David Lang