Re: [2.6 patch] unexport uts_sem

From: Frank Ch. Eigler
Date: Tue May 20 2008 - 14:40:50 EST

Hi -

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 01:27:30PM -0400, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > Am I correct that this would makes it invalid for modules to call
> > utsname() (since the protective semaphore is now hidden)?
>
> Yesm they should never had done that anyway. The module support
> does it's own version checking already.

Sorry, I misspoke - this check is intended not to cross-check
kernel-devel and the kernel itself, but the debuginfo or similar data
that is given to describe target of a systemtap script. I guess for
new enough kernels we'll just do that using buildid hash codes.

By the way, there do appear to be a few suspect in-tree users of
utsname() without uts_sem locking (usb/storage/usb.c, cifs/connect.c,
char/random.cc, fs/lockd/clntproc.c, ...). If these need to be fixed,
then wouldn't uts_sem need to come back exported?

- FChE