SATA hotplug device renaming and dmraid...

From: Paul Rolland
Date: Tue May 20 2008 - 14:17:52 EST

Hello,

I'm using a machine that supports SATA hotplug and with and Intel ESB2
(Fake)Raid controller.
I've configured a raid1 (mirror) array using dmraid, that is made of
/dev/sda and /dev/sdb, and seen by the OS as /dev/mapper/isw_xxxxxxx_RAID1

My problem is that when I unplug and replug a disk, it is assigned a
new name (/dev/sdc first time as this is the first name available), and
so it is no more considered as being part of the RAID array.

Is this an expected behavior ? Is there a way (using dmraid/dmsetup) to
instruct kernel of the changes ?

It seems that udev can get events from device-mapper, from
Documentations/device-mapper/dm-xxxx.txt, but I don't really see how to use
this to notify of a disk change in the array...

Regards,
Paul