Re: [Bug #10679] 2.6.26-rc1 regression:e5e1d3cb20034a3cbcfff1f0bae12201aa2ce17e breaks artsd

From: Dave Jones
Date: Sat May 17 2008 - 16:46:54 EST

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 06:36:29PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Thu, 15 May 2008 09:06:54 -0400,
> Theodore Tso wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 07:41:06AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > > Sounds reasonable. To where should it be added, BTW?
> > > Little people seem to care about Kconfig help texts, and an extra
> > > comment block (with depends on SND_PCSP) could be annoying...
> >
> > That's a good question. A note that including including this module
> > could potentially cause sound cards to be renumbered might be
> > reasonable, since I suspect most users (and most application
> > programs!) have been accustomed to only having one sound card, and so
> > building this module may cause sound cards to be renumbered in Kconfig
> > would at least be a start.
>
> Yes.
>
> > I know this wouldn't help users of distro kernels, but this would at
> > least be one way of warning distro maintainers to think twice about
> > enabling it as a module.

That arrived in my inbox slightly to late :)

> Well, yeah, for distro kernels, it's then a problem of distributors :)

>From todays Fedora kernel changelog :-

* Sat May 17 2008 Dave Jones <davej@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Disable CONFIG_SND_PCSP (#447039)

Problem solved :-)

More seriously, it doesn't seem that there's any way we can build
this driver modular without it screwing up already working systems
unless we cripple its MODULE_ALIAS to not autoload, allowing users
who care about it (which will be in the minority anyway) to add it manually.

Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk